Artistic Director and Concertmaster
Paul was born in Australia, one of six sons to Latvian parents who emigrated there shortly after the Second World War.
In 1978 at the age of 19 he moved to Europe, to the Lucerne Conservatorium of Music and joined a concert diploma class taught by renowned Swiss violinist and conductor Rudolf Baumgartne, co-founder of Lucerne Festival Strings and one-time director of the Lucerne Festival.
He met his wife in Lucerne and they settled in Galway, her home town, which is now their home.
His distinguished career has the following highlights to name but a few.
• Concert master Oslo Philharmonic for 35 years
• Guest leader National Symphony Orchestra and RTÉ Concert Orchestra
• 30 years at The Academy of St Martin in the Fields under Sir Neville Mariner, Iona Brown and Joshua Bell
• Board member of Galway Youth Orchestra
• Active chamber musician with recent performances at the Triskell Arts Centre, Spotlight Chamber Music Series.